Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
A Song of Abundant Life
1. Psalm 23 is a dynamic expression of the Lord’s benefits in the lives of His people right here and right now. It is too often relegated to the funeral home or to a spot on the wall.
2. “The Psalmist does not espouse here an anemic faith which turns away from the experiences of life … but rather that, like a shepherd guides his sheep into right trails, [God] has been directing his life along a course which leads to fulfillment.” (Bernhard W. Anderson)
3. God provides to His sheep: satisfaction, security, restoration, guidance, protection, abundance, and a home. Whatever our hunger, God can satisfy it; whatever is disturbing our peace, God can bring security; to the spiritually weary and to those who have fallen into sin, God can provide renewal and restoration; to those who need guidance, are facing an important decision, God can provide guidance; to those who are afraid, He provides protection; and to those who dwell at His table, He supplies abundance.
4. David compares himself to a sheep, not a flattering choice of animal. Sheep are helpless, stubborn and dirty. They need guidance, protection, and cleansing. They depend upon the Shepherd. To those who are in relationship with God (“my Shepherd”) He becomes their Shepherd.
5. God’s sheep should feed on His Word (1 Peter 2:2; Hebrews 5:12-14); should seek His renewal when they are weary and His restoration when they sin; they should follow His path and trust Him in the darkest hours. He disciplines, defends, and directs His sheep. He is the host who fetes them to a banquet with overflowing joy. “In the presence of God, the guests forget their troubles and tears.” (Allen P. Ross)