Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
The Doorkeeper’s Song
Bible Text: Psalm 84 | Preacher: Pastor Joe Ricchuiti | Series: Psalms, The Doorkeeper’s Song
1. Psalm 84 is a pilgrimage psalm song by the Israelites as they made their way to Jerusalem for the Feast of Unleavened Bread (Passover), in March/April; the Feast of Weeks (Pentecost), in May/June; and the Feast of Tabernacles, in September/October.
2. It expresses the psalmist’s deep yearning for the things of God, to be in the presence of God.
3. He found in God:
-a place to dwell, a refuge
-strength for his journey, so he could press on strengthened by God as he went
-direction and protection (a shield).
4. The psalm is a psalm of the sons of Korah (as are Psalms 42-49, 85, 87 & 88). In an earlier time, Korah had led a rebellion against the authority of Moses and Aaron. He wanted to usurp the role of priest. God judged him and all who followed him, yet later on his descendants served as gatekeepers and, according to some scholars, singers (1 Chronicles 26:1,12-13; 2 Chronicles 20:19). It is an evidence of the grace of God in restoring the family.
5. Even the difficult, troublesome times along the journey could not deter the psalmist. In fact, he found himself strengthened by God through the difficulties. He increased in strength. “Faith in God is the ultimate goal, transforming weak people into those who ‘go from strength to strength…’” (R.E.O.White)
6. The psalmist so desired to be with God that he would rather choose to be a lowly servant in the house of God than choose riches and status apart from God.
7. “Your growing relationship with God is always more profitable for you and your family than any pay raise, promotion, or position in social standing. What does your lifestyle reveal about your priorities? What changes could you incorporate, beginning today, to guard your time alone with God?” (Life Lessons from Bible People)