Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
Déjà vu All Over Again
1. While Genesis 26 is similar to earlier incidents in Abraham’s life in Genesis 12 & 20, it is a different and separate incident in the life of Isaac, repeating the earlier sin of his father.
2. Genesis 26:1 specifically says this is a different incident, also there are similar elements to the earlier incidents but there are also differences.
3. A famine brings about this test of faith in Isaac’s life (as famine often does in the Bible).
4. As Warren Wiersbe points out: “Faith cannot grow apart from trials.” Our faith grows when it is challenged, when we are stretched beyond ourselves, when we are forced to use “new muscles” in our spiritual life.
5. “A commitment to Christ and obedience to his commands stretch us beyond ourselves, and that hurts. But this is a very different pain from that inflicted by torture or punishment. Growth pain is the kind we don’t regret; it leads to health and not disease or neurosis.” (Eugene Peterson).