Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
Déjà vu All Over Again (Part 2)
Bible Text: Genesis 26:1-33 | Preacher: Pastor Joe Ricchuiti | Series: Déjà vu All Over Again, Genesis
1. In Genesis 26 Isaac, following the bad example of his father, Abraham, lies to Abimilech and the men of Gerar about his wife Rebecca calling her his sister to protect himself.
2. Lying of any magnitude (“little” or “big”) is dangerous because it dulls our senses to what is morally right, and will eventually erode our ability to distinquish the truth from falsehood.
3. The Old Testament condemns bearing false witness in the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20, Deuteronomy 5:20), in the prophets and in the Proverbs.
4. Lying is the inconsistent with the nature of God within the Christian, for God’s nature is to be truthful. In fact, He is truth (Titus 1:2).
5. Lying is however consistent with the nature and language of Satan. He is the “father of lies” (John 8:44).
6. By example and by teaching the Believer is exhorted to truthfulness in the New Testament (Acts 5, Ephesians 4:25; Colossians 3:9). Lying is part of our old nature, the sin nature, which we are to be putting away by yielding to the Spirit of God and the Word of God as we are being remade in the character of Jesus Christ.