Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
What’s Holding You Back?
Bible Text: Genesis 35:1-15 | Preacher: Pastor Joe Ricchuiti | Series: Genesis, What’s Holding You Back?
1. God’s instructions to Jacob in 35:1 are in effect a rebuke, a call for him to complete the vows he made earlier at Bethel when he was leaving the land (28:20-22). God was admonishing him because he had unfinished business which was keeping him from full obedience.
2. Jacobs return to Bethel was unwisely delayed by 7-10 years, time which he spent in Succoth in Shechem. An action which put his family in jeopardy.
3. Part of the reason for the delay was the fact that their was idolatry in Jacob’s family. Along with the household idols which Rachel brought back from Paddam Aram were the false gods of the area of Shechem,
4. We must be careful about divided allegiance. God’s Spirit jealously desires to have our full devotion. (James 4:4-6).
5. A. W. Pink wisely said: “The moral is evident: spiritual neglect and trifling with temptation can issue only in evil and disaster. Let us not neglect God’s house, nor delay to keep His commandments.”