Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
What to do for Heart Trouble
Bible Text: John 14:1-14 | Preacher: Pastor Joe Ricchuiti | Series: John, What to do for Heart Trouble
Recap of 11/4/12 (John 14:1-5):
1. The disciples were troubled, perplexed by the events that Jesus had announced to them including His death, and their defection from Him. It challenged their faith.
2. -“Every fresh test as well as every new revelation is a summons to faith.” (Harrison)
– “Life is full of tests and trials, afflictions and sorrows, as well as blessings. The Lord permits these things to come into our lives because He wants the wean us away from transient things and to fix our hearts of eternal [truths].” (Mitchell)
3. They were troubled in “heart.” All action begins in the heart (the immaterial part of humans, otherwise called soul, spirit, etc.). the heart refers to mental, emotional, and spiritual capacity. It is the seat of intellect, will, emotion, understanding, and discernment. We are to guard our hearts (Proverbs 3:1,3,5; 4:23)
4. The answer to the distressed hearts of the disciples was to renew their trust in God the Father and the Son. Jesus encouraged them by promises/provision for them both eternally and temporally. Eternally He promised them an eternal home (vs. 2) and His return for His own (vs. 3). Temporally He promised them the prospect of greater works (vs. 12), answer to prayer (vv. 13-14), the gift of the Holy Spirit to be with them (vs. 15), and peace as only He could give (vs. 27).