Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
Three Responses to Christmas
Bible Text: Matthew 2:1-12 | Preacher: Pastor Joe Ricchuiti | Series: Matthew, Three Responses to Christmas
1. The events of Matthew 2 happened a least several months after Jesus’ birth. Not on the night of His birth as commonly portrayed.
-He was in a house not a stable, vs. 11
-He was a “child” (Greek, “paidion”) not an infant (Greek, “brephos”), vs. 11
-Luke 2:21-27 tells us that at Jesus’ purification (33 days after circumcision on the 8th day), Joseph & Mary gave a poor family’s offering, and if the Magi had already given their gifts they could not have done that.
-Herod’s order to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and vicinity, two yrs. and younger, vs. 16
2. Herod’s response of hostility and the religious leaders response of apathy have been re-enacted many times through the centuries right up to today.
3. The proper response to Jesus is, as with the Magi, faith and worship.
4. The Magi gave themselves first in worship before they gave their gifts.
5. “… what God favors us with, we must honor Him with.” (Matthew Henry) The talent, resources, and time God has given us must be given back to Him.
6. The gifts of the Magi to Jesus reflected not only His deity but His coming death as well (myrrh was used as a burial spice).