Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
Seeing is Believing
Recap of 6/17/12 (John 9:1-41):
1. John 9 records the 6th of the 7 sign miracles John deals with in his gospel. Each miracle is to show the divine nature and work of Jesus, each highlights some aspect of what He came to do. Concerning the healing in John chapter nine, Dr. Charles Erdman writes: “This story possesses an irresistible and unfailing charm. A subtle humor pervades the dialogue between the Pharisees and the man who had been born blind; their ruffled dignity and exasperation, and his irritating irony, are little less than amusing, while against all stands the contrast of the majestic calm of Jesus.”
2. Healings by Jesus, especially those of opening the eyes of the blind were very specific indications that Jesus was the predicted Messiah (see Isaiah 42:7; 29:18; 35:5).
3. The healing of the man born blind in John 9 was a public application or demonstration of Jesus’ words in 8:12, “I am the light of the world.” Jesus brings light to three groups: the physically blind, the spiritual blind, and his disciples who bought into the wrong thinking of their day especially concerning the connection between personal sin and disease. (For the Five Suffering Laws which explains the connection between sin and disease, deaths, and difficulties, see Charles Swindoll, Come Before Winter or 2/26/12 message)
4. Jesus urges His disciples to work while there is time, especially in taking His light to a blinded world (2 Corinthians 4:4; Ephesians 2:1-3).
5. The healed man’s perception of Jesus changes through-out the encounter and its aftermath. He originally sees Jesus as only a man, then a prophet, then a man of God. Jesus challenges him to see that He is God incarnate. In response the man places his faith in Jesus and is saved.