Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
The Promises for the Troubled: The Holy Spirit (part 4)
Recap of 12/2/12 (John 14:16-17):
Five truths about the Holy Spirit from John 14:16,17:
1. The Holy Spirit’s spiritual presence would replace Jesus’ physical presence with His disciples. He would be “another” Counselor for them. Jesus would be taken from them in His crucifixion and subsequent ascension but they would not be left alone.
2. The Holy Spirit presence with a believer is forever. He is not an occasional helper but a permanent present. He cannot be withdrawn from the believer in the church age as He was in the Old Testament.
3. The Holy Spirit is characterized by truth. He is literally the “Spirit of the Truth.” This is crucial since He will testify about Jesus (John 15:26), and guide the disciples into truth (John 16:13).
4. The Holy Spirit is invisible, though real and active. The Holy Spirit “cannot be seen by sight or comprehended by reason.” The unbeliever has no spiritual life so they cannot know or see Him. The are not “tuned in.”
5. The Holy Spirit would indwell them in the future. He would not only be “with” them but He would be “in” them. He would individually indwell believers. This teaching about the Holy Spirit anticipates the coming of the Spirit on the day of Pentecost (Acts. 2). They were concerned that Jesus was leaving them, but the Holy Spirit would not only be with them but would live in them to reproduce the life of Jesus in their lives.
6. “How are you listening to God’s Spirit? How are you making yourself available to His guidance and direction in your choices and relationships? Reading Scripture is an important way to tune your heart to His voice.” (NLT One-Year Study Bible)