Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
Motivation to Holy Living (Part 1)
Bible Text: 1 Peter 1:17-21 | Preacher: Pastor Joe Ricchuiti | Series: 1 Peter, Motivation to Holy Living
1. Because as Christians we are just “pilgrims” here on earth, we are to use the little time we have been given wisely and carefully, in holy living.
2. But what is the motivation to holy living? Peter gives two answers to that question: the judgment of God (the Bema Seat) and the sacrifice of Christ, our Redemption.
3. As Christians we are to be motivated to live for Christ by the fact that we will give an account of our lives since coming to faith in Christ, at the Bema Seat (also called the Judgment Seat of Christ). This is a judgment to determine rewards, not salvation. Only those who are already saved will appear at this judgment.
4. This truth is illustrated in the following quotes:
-“The judgment is not to determine the question of salvation, which is settled for believers as soon as they accept Christ, but to determine their fidelity as disciples and the place of reward awaiting them in glory.” (James M. Gray)
-“God is going to judge the work of every Christian fairly. This has nothing to do with your salvation; it has everything to do with the kind of life you are living down here on this earth. The fact that God is going to judge us ought to cause us to become very sober-minded and to give a little more attention to the life that we are living.” (J. Vernon McGee)
5. All unbelievers will be judged at the Great White Throne Judgment described in Revelation 20:11-15. Because they never placed their faith in God’s provision for their sin, they will be cast into the Lake of Fire, where they will experience eternal judgment. Their absence from the Book of Life and the record of their deeds will confirm the rightness of God’s judgment upon them.