Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
It’s Not About Us (Part 2)
Bible Text: Ephesians 1:1-14 | Preacher: Pastor Joe Ricchuiti | Series: Ephesians, It’s Not About Us
Kurt DeHaan in his pamphlet entitled, “How Can I Know What God Wants Me to Do,” suggests the following five basic principles to knowing God’s will:
1. “Go to the Lord” – Proverbs 3:5,6. As we grow in our knowledge of God, intimately knowing Him, He will give us direct us in His path.
2. “Understand God’s principles” – 2 Timothy 3:16,17. Some things are always right, some are always wrong. We must know His commands, precepts, and principles, especially to navigate the gray areas. We must study the Bible in its entirety, not just pick and choose verses to our liking.
3. “Investigate your options.” Consider the result of each decision. DeHaan suggest asking: “Which alternatives would make a positive impact on my spiritual well-being?”
4. “Discuss it with others.” We should consult with those who are spiritually mature, asking for their advice, drawing on their wisdom.
5. “Express your freedom.” If we have done the preceding, God gives us freedom to choose what to do. DeHaan quotes Haddon Robinson who said: “The Bible does not provide a map for life-only a compass.”