Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
God’s Design for Marriage (Part 4)
1. “The first marriage and God’s intention for all subsequent marriages include:
a. The man leaving his parents and committing himself to his wife (2:24a)
b. The man and woman taking responsibility for each other’s welfare (2:24b)
c. The two being united into one in the intimacy of sexual union that is reserved for marriage. God’s plan for husband and wife has always been monogamy.” (2:24c) (Mark Water)
2. Three applications of Genesis 2:24 are:
-leaving precedes” cleaving and the one-flesh relationship, that is, marriage precedes intercourse
-this union is to be “an exclusive, permanent, God-sealed bond.” (Derek Kidner)
-the primary relationship after marriage is no longer with our parents or with our children, it is with our mate.
3. The marital bond is broken by death (Roman 7:1-3); by adultery (Matthew 19:1-9), though forgiveness can and should be exercised; and by the departure of an unbeliever from a marriage where both were unbelievers and one came to Christ later (1 Corinthians 7)
4. Genesis 2:25 mentions that Adam and Eve were both naked and unashamed. The physical nudity symbolized their total transparency, total ease with one another. There was no fear, no distrust, because in the absence of sin (which wouldn’t be a factor until after they fell in Genesis 3) there was no competition, no defensiveness, no need to win, and no battle for control. There was no fear of exploitation.
5. Someone has said that verse 25 is a poignant reminder of all that was lost in the Fall.