Our church is an independent, non-denominational congregation focused on equipping believers to accomplish all God has for each individual. We emphasize growing to maturity through regular, relevant study of God’s Word, meaningful corporate worship, and fellowship. Del Rio Bible Church was established in 1997 by a … Read More »
1. Abraham lapses into a 25 year old sin when he once again passes off Sarah as his sister, instead of as his wife. In doing so he, humanly speaking, puts in jeopardy God’s promise of a son, the son of promise, through Sarah (Gen 17:19).
2. These incidents seem to be the basis for Peter’s praise of Sarah as an example of a woman of faith, who despite her husband’s unwise actions, trusts God with her fear. (1 Peter 3:1-6).
3. As with Abraham, who earlier interceded for the righteous in Sodom (Gen 18:23), Abimelech (king of Gerar) intercedes for his innocent people. Only in this instance, Abraham is the wicked one and Abimelech and his people are the innocents. This is a rebuke from God to Abraham for his actions. As a writer said: “He certainly stumbled in his walk of faith and caused God’s judgment to come on Abimelech.”
4. Abraham who was to be a blessing to the nations, instead in this instance he is having a negative impact. Instead of upholding righteousness, he is holding God up to ridicule.
5. Based on Gen 20 we must: deal decisively with sin in our lives (especially with the world watching); deal with fear; affect the world positively, not just negatively.